Apply as a Freelance Translator and Editor
Our network of linguists is comprised of professional translators with:
- a university degree in translation or in a field related to their subject specialization
- a minimum of five years’ professional translation experience in this specialization.
In order to adhere to the strict requirements of our quality system, we request that all linguists be willing to perform a sample translation in their specialization. All samples are reviewed by a senior member of the Idem team and feedback is provided directly to the candidate translator for review and input. Samples are never actual ongoing jobs (so they never have a specific timeline).
How We Operate
In accordance with the requirements of ISO 17100:2015, our translation process involves the collaboration of translator and editor. The first draft translation is reviewed by the editor (or reviser) for linguistic precision and accuracy against the source text. Corrections and suggestions provided by the editor are returned to the translator for final review and implementation. In order to ensure that this process leads to a long-term and meaningful dialogue, each of Idem’s linguistic resources is asked to perform the role of translator or editor on a project-by-project basis.
What We Do
- Build long-term partnerships for consistency in tone, terminology, and style for the same client over time.
- Request meaningful collaboration between translators and editors to guarantee that we are providing our clients with the highest quality translations possible.
- Maintain reliable translation memories and reference materials to help you understand the context for your translations.
- Respond to your questions and concerns in a timely manner, by phone or e-mail, to avoid wasting your time.
- Pay you on time, every month.
What We Don’t Do
- Hire inexperienced translators to do a poor translation and ask you to magically “fix” it.
- Split files among two hundred different translators in order to get it back to the client super fast with no consideration for quality or consistency.
- Ask you to prioritize a “rush” project in half the standard turnaround with no additional compensation.
- Force you to use our proprietary translation software that costs megabucks.
What We Expect
- Error-free, high-quality translations.
- On-time delivery.
- Clear and responsive communications.
- A collaborative attitude.
If we sound like the right fit, we’d love to hear from you.